• cube

  • cubeRandom

"G" Building, Gyula

The oldest building of the Harruckern-Wenckheim-Almásy Castle in Gyula

The archaeological excavations, related to the renovation works of the palace located between the Castle of Gyula and the Castle Bath, begun in 2012, discovered the ruins a building previously situated there which is considered the ancestor of today's palace. The orderer was János György Harruckern (1664-1742) from an Upper Austrian family, food supply commissar of the imperial army. For his 30-year-long state services Holy Roman Emperor IV. Charlemagne and King of Hungary conferred on him the knighthood of the German Empire in 1718, and in recognition of his services donated him the Gyula estate together with most part of the Békés County in 1720. Harruckern immediately got surveyed his newly acquired estate by military engineer Leopold Franz von Rosenfeld. The author of the map made in 1722, placed the brick-walled building (designated as building “G”) within the premises of the remaining hussar castle, near to the Turkish age gatehouse.

The excavated remains of the building shows that the economic expert from a bourgeois family first raised a single-story building, but in size restrained one in relation to his wealth. Subsequently he erected a new multi-storey building next to the existing building, the so called Small Palace, the axis of which had an approximately 15 ° angle to the longitudinal axis of the first one. After Harruckern's death in 1742, his son, Francis formed attic rooms in the Small Palace's mansard in the 1750s, then in 1765, after the demolition of the old building, and partly over its remains, coupled both sides of the small palace with one-storey wings. Thus, the first floor and the remains of the ascending walls of the residence building were buried under the floor of the new wing. The floor plan, the doors and windows, the drainage, furnace foundations, the floors, the plaster layers and paint layers and the traces of refurbishment projects completed during the building's short life are clearly identifiable on the remains.

The survey took place in May 2013 as part of scientific research and documentation in the form of laser scanning, which recorded the actual geometric parameters of the object, thus the virtual presentation of the ruins is possible now, which are to be buried under the floor again during the renovation, as well as is their future research.

We thank archaeologist László Gere and art historian Márta Velladics who carry out the scientific research of the building for their kind conveying yet not published details of the research. Renovation plans for the palace were designed by Földes és Társai Építészroda kft. and made available to us by the Gyula City Municipality. (The plans are under copyright protection).

Coming soon...

Please click on the picture

Új Széchenyi Terv
arrow bottom
A projektek az Európai Unió támogatásával valósulnak meg.
arrow bottom