• cube

  • cubeRandom

Provostal church vault of Székesfehérvár

These ruins on the eastern edge of the main square of Székesfehérvár are the remains of the most important church of medieval Hungary, the royal provostal Church of Virgin Mary. The church was founded by King St. Stephen himself, who was buried here, and all the Hungarian Kings were crowned within these walls after his death (1038) until the city’s fall into the hands of the Turks in 1543. Apart the founder and his son St. Imre, fourteen more Kings of Hungary, a number of royal family members rest within these walls.

King Matthias Hunyadi was a ruler who although was raised to the throne by the vast majority of the country's nobility, but as not being a descendant of old-fashioned, European royal houses, he wanted to demonstrate his aptitude and legitimacy of the Hungarian throne to outer world and the country's people with luxurious appearances and with major construction works. The last major modification of the Church of St. Mary's is connected to him, which when the building was enlarged to half bigger than its original size and transformed into a huge late Gothic church.

The destruction of the church started in 1601, when its tower was blown up. Its building blocks became the building blocks of the city's walls. In 1688, by the end of the Ottoman Empire’s occupation only the remaining chapels at the north side of the church resembled the once magnificent building.

Please click on the picture!

Please click on the picture!

Új Széchenyi Terv
arrow bottom
A projektek az Európai Unió támogatásával valósulnak meg.
arrow bottom